Thursday, November 20

Buying Store Brands....

Thrifty Jinxy



As grocery prices kept climbing higher and higher over the past few months, and my stockpile has gotten a little smaller than ever before, I have noticed that I am much more willing to try store brand products! When a store brand is half the price of name brand...why not, right??

Just a few weeks ago while at Target, I needed to pick up a can of diced tomatoes for a dinner recipe I planned to make. I usually buy Del Monte' brand or sometimes Redpack, but when I looked on the next shelf lower I noticed Target brand was just 52 cents for the can verses the $1.15 a can for the Del Monte' (same size can). At a savings of more than half price...I was willing to give them a try!! Guess what they taste just like the name brand tomatoes I had previously been buying and paying much more for.

Whenever I try a store brand for the first time, I usually just buy one can, jar, or box to give them a try first before I load up on them, just in case they do taste a lot different. In most cases though store brands taste very similar to name brand products. We've had much success with a variety of store brand products!!

In fact in a few instances...we actually like a few store brand products better than the name brand (CVS Wheat Crackers, are our top favorite)!! Who would of known?? Of, course there are a few items that we are strictly name brand (Ketchup, Mayo, and a few others) we just like the flavor a little better than the store brands we have tried. So when one of these go on sale...I really make sure to stock up to hold us over until the next sale!



So are you willing to try store brand products? Or are you strictly a name brand kind of shopper?? Any great store brand products that stick out??





Lots more Thrifty Tips over at Thrifty Jinxy!!

4 comments:

SkyLaur said...

Just wondering...have you used your tomatoes yet?

I was wondering if the inside lining of the can is coated white? The white is a plastic coating which *supposably* contains evil BPA and earthy wierdos like me try to avoid it, but it's hard because most canned tomatoes I've bought have it.

Miss Mommy said...

Laur.

I have used the tomatoes numerous times...I have yet to notice the white around the can...I will make sure to llok closely next time and let you know!!

Anonymous said...

I use "off brands" all the time now that I have kids and I stay at home. When it was just my husband and I we used "the good stuff." I only notice a slight difference on very few products. Most of the time I can't tell.

If you start checking labels, you will sometimes notice that the generic brand is packaged in the same town as the name brand. I highly doubt that these little towns have 2 fruit packaging plants, which means that it may be the name brand product in non name brand packaging!

Jackie B. said...

Jen is exactly right! We have a bottled water company here that uses the exact same water for three different brands of water. The only difference is the bottle and the label. We also have a kitty litter plant that does the same thing.
I use off brands all the time. The only ones I have had problems with are the toilet paper (reasons should be obvious) and some canned veggies. I have gotten cans of green beans and cans of corn that had stems and such in them. I do not think they "filter" them as well.