Monday, October 6

Oh No.....Fundraisers!!!

So Little Man comes home the other day from preschool and inside his folder was a large envelope with a bunch of pictures on it...Oh no, it hit me as soon as I saw it.....the dreaded school fundraisers have already started!! It's only preschool.....I thought I had at least a few more years until they kicked in!!!

Of course when I pulled out the envelope Little Man got all excited to show me all the prizes he could win if he sold "x" amount of items. He showed me the bike first, of course...I think he had to sell about 100 items....WOW!!! The cheapest thing you can buy in the book is $7.50....so if we sold $7.50 x 100 items...that would be $750!!! Seems a bit steep for a bike for a five year old, doesn't it?

I know, I know....the fundraisers are to help the school make money...that is the real purpose. Then why not just ask me for a donation? Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way??? It is just that they send you this book and inside is absolutely nothing I need, want, or would care to purchase. To me it just makes me think how much I am overpaying for junk I really do not want...$10.00 for a role of wrapping paper...and it's only 30 feet...and so terribly ugly!!

Also inside the envelope is a letter letting us know that it is a great idea to let your family and friends know that your Little One is participating in a fundraiser at school and would love to show you the book of items. What?? Why on earth would I have friends and family take a look at the book, if I do not even want to buy anything?? Just does not seem right to me??

Well....I did order 1 item....a subscription to ALL YOU magazine for a year. Yes, it was the double the price I could have paid online....but he had to sell something...and at least there will be lots of coupons and good reading in it for me...LOL LOL

Well, I guess I better get over it fast....since there is a cheesecake and pie fundraiser coming up in just 2 weeks!! And since this is his first year of school....there are many, many more fundraisers in my near future!!! Thanks so much for letting me vent.....Ah I feel much better now.....

So do you have any wise words of wisdom to help me through?? How many fundraisers are under your belt?? Do you always buy at least one thing? I would love to hear your thoughts!!

4 comments:

Allie said...

Good luck on all the ones to come! I am like you and have a hard time buying over priced stuff that I don't need or want! I don't have any good advice...we just don't buy anything or ask others to do so. Not very good school spirit, but we don't have a bunch of junk we don't need!

Niki Jolene said...

I loathe fundraisers! I know they are helpful but you end up with so much crud you don't really need or want.

I wish they would just stick to stuff you can consume or plant.

I do try to buy at least one thing though, because I realize it helps the schools. But only for ones where I will actually use the stuff! With all the ones they do throughout the year, you can't participate in all of them.

:)

Anonymous said...

The private school would have a walk a thon (on the school grounds)once a year to raise money. Sponsors were asked to contribute prizes to the kids for the most distance walked, largest amounts of monies collected ect... This was the only fundraising they needed for the whole year- it was so successful. Maybe this would not work for small children but it could be modified for another activity to suit their ages. Denise

mommagurl32 said...

I hate fund raisers too! I don't buy anything nor do I try to sell them to anyone. Too much hassle, especially since I have 4 little ones in school. That probably doesn't help you too much but thats how I do it!